Time out for some good news. Eight cities shine amidst gloom.
"There is still hope for our country. While the national government is concerned with the impeachment, the cities are moving forward. The cities have bonded to ensure that basic services are delivered," said Iloilo Mayor Jerry Treñas.
The goals of the eight cities are as follows:
- San Fernando: The Botanical Garden City by 2010
- Tagbilaran: A Prime Eco-Tourism Hub by 2015
- Calbayog: One City, One People, One Culture by 2015
- Iloilo: Premier City by 2015
- Naga City: Model City for Participatory Government by 2015
- Samal: Island Garden City by 2015
- Cebu: Most Livable City in Asia by 2015
- Marikina: A World-class City by 2015
Of these goals, my favorites are Cebu's (livability) and Naga's (participatory government). If the lack of vision at the national level is getting you down, visit these cities and be inspired by what they are trying to do.
(More about the program from CIPE-ISA.)